Mexicali Taco & Co
702 N Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90007
(213) 613-0416 www.mexicalitaco.com
CARNE ASADA TACOS
- 1lb Flap Meat or Skirt Steak
- Chef Merito’s Carne Seasoning
- 1 Orange
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 12 corn tortillas
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Really, any steak will work here, but flap or skirt steak work best. You want thin steak here. Take the raw meat and marinate it in a bowl with half the cilantro and onions, and all the juice from the orange. Chef Merito’s carne blend is the best bet here for seasoning – it’s got everything in one. But if you can’t find some, substitute with generous pinches of salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, chili powder and coriander. Mix everything together, cover, and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- In a dry, hot pan, fry the steak (with the marinade). Cook for a few minutes on each side, until brown. Remove from the pan, and let it rest for a few minutes on a cutting board.
- Heat the tortillas. I use a tortilla pan made in Mexico, but you can use any flat surface. You want them charred on each side, but still pliable.
- Chop the steak into small pieces – about twice the size of your onions.
- Now it’s time to build the taco. Spoon in the meat, add onions and cilantro on top, and finish with hot sauce – you can choose your favorite or make one of my red or green recipes!