CHICKEN TINGA TACOS
- 2-3 lbs of chicken, leg/thigh quarter
- 1 bouillon cube
- 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 7 oz can chipotle peppers (La Morena brand)
- 1 tomatillo, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- juice of 1 lime
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. You need enough water that the chicken is completely covered. Add the bouillon cube, chicken, salt, pepper and some dried oregano to the water. One boiling, reduce to low heat and and cook for about 90 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the broth. It should be falling off the bone. Let the chicken cool, and then shred it and remove all bones.
- In a large saucepan, add the can of tomatoes at high heat. Crush the whole tomatoes as you add them from the skin (you can use a fork or your fingers). Add the can of chipotles, doing the same thing (make sure you wash your hands when you’re done). Add the garlic, tomatillo and bell pepper. Lower heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- There are two methods from here – mix the chicken in chunky, or blend the sauce first and then add the chicken. If you’re going to blend it, allow it to cool a bit first. Either method, add the shredded chicken to the sauce, mix and simmer on low for another 5 minutes.
- Heat up your tortillas, spoon on the chicken mixture, and add whatever you’d like on top. Enjoy!